Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rishikesh


I left the Hotel Shiv Ganga, walked down to the road, turned left and started into an area where I hoped I would find a cheap place to stay. I was a bit worried that I was in the midst of high-priced hotels. I had walked about 100 meters when I was stopped by a guy in front of a hotel. He invited me in and I found a place, in moments after leaving the guy who almost proudly admitted to treating a guest like crap, that was within my price range. Score!!!

For some reason they had an American working their reception/registration area. She has been teaching in India as a volunteer, but with school out for the time being, she needed something to do and came to Rishikesh. And they hired her on at this hotel. So I also got a source of information that may be more reliable out of the deal as well. Double score!!!

Then I went for a walk. Michelle, the girl at the desk, gave me a route I could follow. I did my best, but I still didn't quite find all that she told me about. I did find the first bridge though.









And the town is a typical sort of mountain town that I might find in the Rockies. Except of course for the holy river flowing through town. The Ganga spills out of the Himilaya range and then begins its course first to the west and then turning to the east to flow eventually through Kolkata and to the Bay of Bengal.







Even here the Ganga is a holy river. What exactly made the Rishikesh area suitable, we may never know, but the yogis ended up here en masse and set up ashrams and yoga schools all over the place. Now it's the yoga capital of the world. All forms of yoga are represented here and one can find any way to practice this ancient art desirable. I have even read that, as yogic philosophy preaches not to harm any living thing, the entire town is meat-free. I don't know how such a philosophy can preach no harm to any living thing and then allow the eating of vegetables. Aren't they alive? Maybe it's living things with faces.

Along with the yoga schools, that attract many foreigners who want to learn yoga, there are lots of souvenir shops and such, that are attracted by many foreigners who want to learn yoga. Lined up along each side of the river leading out of Rishikesh are ashrams, yoga schools and souvenirs. Occasionally there are coffee shops and restaurants.

My walk through town took me past the usual sorts of sights I have been finding in India, shrines and other spots of worship, to Shiva and others.














But really it was about the scenery of this town set in the foothills of the Himilaya.





As the sun set on the day that had begun with a bit of strife and annoyance at the greed that seems to dominate so often in this part of India, I found that Rishikesh will be a good place to spend a few days. It's a nice mountain town that, on the whole, is quiet and friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment