Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Finally Laid Low


After getting myself settled in a nice little hotel and getting a good night's sleep, I woke up with a sinking realization. There were gurgles and rumbles in my tummy. Uh oh! It shortly became clear that I was having some kind of intestinal event. I had had a cold of some sort for a couple of days, so I was initially unsure if the tummy trouble was just a part of that or not. But it became clear through the day, that I wasn't going to be able to go too far from the hotel.

I took my laundry out for cleaning, then returned to look after my tummy.

After a while, I thought to take a bit of a walk about again. I made it 15 or so minutes away, where I was able to take a nice look up the valley.


And then I found I needed to return once again to the hotel and tend to my tummy. I pretty much gave up hope of doing much useful that day. I did feel better towards the end of the day and got a bit of a snack to quell the hunger that had replaced the gurgles. I took that as a welcome sign. A return of hunger suggests to me that my body has passed the trouble. I was hopeful that it had indeed been just a part of the cold or whatever it was that I had had.

The next morning dawned quite well and I felt almost like I was better. There were minor rumblings in my abdomen, but the need to be near a bathroom seemed to have passed. So I decided to take a good long walk.

Michelle, at the front desk told me about a waterfall nearby that wasn't a particularly strenuous walk up the mountainside. That seemed to present the perfect opportunity for a little jaunt. I headed out and walked to the entrance. By the time I got there, having gotten water and a little snack, I didn't have enough small money for the entrance fee. I had to resort to a 500 rupee note. The guy at the window complained. He had no change. I had 17 rupees in small change, but the entrance fee was 30. He said that wouldn't do. The only other choices were to find change for the 500 rupee note or to leave. I wasn't planning on leaving. He grudgingly took the 500 rupee note and told me I could come back and collect change when I came down. But he made no move to provide with any kind of note saying that I was owed the change. Uh uh, buddy. I asked for one. Then he pulled out his wallet and showed that he was pretty much a liar. There was plenty of smaller notes in his wallet and he gave me 450 rupees. Then he wrote a note saying I was owed 20 more.

I do sympathise with the problem of making change for large notes. I think it must be a drag, and I don't think it's exactly fair. But it's not my problem. I am the customer. If there is a problem with this sort of thing, they should be complaining to banks. But on the other hand, so many people in this country are happy enough to take the money from foreign visitors, but then they complain when they have to do some work to get it. Either you want our money or you don't. I don't really care. Well I do, but I don't really care for the attitude of how much trouble it seems to you to get it. Suck it up, people!

I headed up the trail. It's reasonably well-marked and the scenery was quite nice. There were a couple of points where I was unsure where to go, and as usual I took the wrong way. But it kept me occupied.

The waterfalls were also beautiful. I imagine they must be quite spectacular during the rainy season. They must get quite large and active.




I got myself back down from the waterfalls and got some food, as I was getting quite hungry after not eating much of anything the previous day. I went back to the hotel and hoped that my abdominal episode was past. And I began to feel the rumblings and gurglings that said, no, I wasn't done. Crap!!

I was able to get a bit of sleep, but before long I was awake and dealing with more tummy troubles. It seemed to pass reasonably well and I got some more sleep that lasted well into the morning.

After I got up, I was able to take a long walk down the riverside. On the other side of the river, in the actual township area of Rishikesh, is the local national park. I walked along it a ways, but after a second day of not eating too much, I was really lacking in energy, so I spent a lot of time just sitting and watching the water. I did notice that the river level rose significantly while I was there. I suspect it's snow-melt coming off the mountains during the day, which would be greater in the heat of the day, but I don't really know for sure. All I know is that the Ganges here rose by several inches while I watched.


I wanted to visit the national park and see more wildlife, but when I have enquired at a couple of places, because I am alone, the prices have been quite high. It's also low season as far as wildlife is concerned as well, and I was told it's really only birds and probably some elephants that would be seen. And I find birds to be somewhat boring. Given the price, I will probably give it a pass.

But this is the yoga capital of the world, so I might give a class or two a try. I have always wanted to have a go. This would be the perfect time. Assuming that my insides sort themselves out.

I don't know if this has been a result of being sick or whether, after 9 and a half months travelling, I have finally run afoul of some bad water or food. But I think it's been a good run. Now, let it be the last time this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment