Monday, December 5, 2011

In Search Of... Bollywood


Bollywood, one of the icons of India. And like Hollywood, it more or less has a location. Here in Mumbai, the Bollywood stars live and work. Many is the time when people on the street can run across a movie being filmed in the street. While I have been in Mumbai, I thought it might be an idea to try and experience Bollywood.

I asked at the hotel and was told about a studio that could be a place to visit. But I forgot the name by the time I reached the train station from where to go to the studio, I had forgotten the name of the studio. I couldn't go. I checked on Wikitravel and found the name of the area where much of the filming of Bollywood takes place. I wasn't sure what I would find, but I figured it was worth a shot. So I hopped a bus and headed to Film City.

I reached Film City and there was a big gate. And there were guards in front of the gate. Well, no point in being shy. I went up and asked if there was any way to experience Bollywood. “Visitors, not allowed.” Hmmm... They called people and I did talk to someone who told me I should talk to the public relations department. He even offered to get them on the phone for me if I handed the phone back to the guard, but the guard either didn't understand or thought it was going to be done a bit differently. In any case, I talked to nobody else and I ended up being turned away empty-handed.

Bollywood remains unexperienced, by me at least.

And once again, I am left wondering why nobody seems to be exploiting a golden opportunity. First it was the lack of places to drink tea in places that produce tea. Now it's a lack of opportunity to experience the movie-making industry for visitors to the movie capital of India. It's a bit astonishing, really.

But someplace around here, the Bollywood industry lurks, producing entertainment for millions and millions of people and an increasing audience around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment