Thursday, December 15, 2011

Back to the Reality of Living Austerely


After living like a maharaja for a night, it was back to the life of privation that I am used to. Not that I feel particularly like I'm missing out. But I don't have the nice beds all the time. They cost more than I am willing to pay. So the next morning came and I prepared to return to Jodhpur. I took a final little walk on the nearby sand dune. There I found a boy who was playing in the sand. We made some sand sculptures for a while. Then he ruined the moment by asking for money. The closer I get to the Golden Triangle, the less attractive people are with their begging and want of money.

I wandered off back to the camp and found some interesting animal tracks along the way. I'm not sure that I want to know too much about some of them, as they looked snake-like, but the desert isn't completely lifeless.



I had planned to go back on the bus, but Terence suggested that I take the train back. It would be more comfortable (but he didn't know if there would be a seat or if I would have to stand the whole way), and it stopped closer to my hotel in Jodhpur. I decided to go that way, even though I wasn't sure if I would get a seat. It would a different view of the way. That's always good, I find.

The countryside was quite interesting on the way back. It was more mountainous and rocky. And there were lots of crops, including one that I have never seen before. I also met a man on the train who talked to me most of the way, and who helped me find a seat after only a short while. It was a pleasant ride.

Then I holed up in the hotel for most of the afternoon and caught up a bunch on my blog. It wasn't much of a day for doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment