Monday, May 30, 2011

On to New Zealand

This is the time-to-relax bit of my trip. When I was in Korea, I lived with a couple of people from New Zealand. I went to their wedding. I have kept in touch with them for the past years. And it's only right that I visit, since I am in the neighbourhood. So after leaving Fiji, I headed down to New Zealand and Wellington. I flew into Auckland and passed through customs. There was a great difference between passing through New Zealand immigration and passing through Australian immigration. In Auckland, it was, “Hi! What are you doing in New Zealand? Visiting friends? Well, welcome, and have a good visit!” In Australia, as you may recall, it was, “Hi. I see you are only going to be here for a few days. Why is that? I see. Well, if you will just step over here, we can go through everything you own, as well as paw through your wallet, just because we can, and you are committing the crime of not visiting for long enough. Oh, and welcome to Australia. But why was it you are only going to stay for a week?” (At least, that's how it felt.)

I enjoyed arriving in New Zealand so much more.

Then it was transfer to a flight to Wellington to come down to see Sarah and Mat. While I was on that flight, I caught this view of Mt. Taranaki, a volcano on the southeast edge of the North Island. This was a view that many do not get to see, as clouds are usually in the way.

Sarah and Mat met me at the arrival gate and took me to their home. It is so nice to see them again. It is going to be a nice couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment