Sunday, May 29, 2011

Kava

In Korea, it's soju. In North America, it is probably coffee. In Fiji, it's kava. Kava is the get-to-know-you, socializing-while-drinking drink. It is slightly intoxicating, but not overly so, although it does make your mouth a bit numb and definitely makes you sleepy. It is also bitter and something that I don't understand why people ever started drinking. And I was invited to participate in the ritual. Over and over, we had cups of this brew. It is made from the roots and bark of a plant that takes 3 years to mature to the point where it can be turned into the a powder that can be made into the drink. The two people who arrived earlier and stayed also participated in the ceremony and we were up drinking this stuff until well past midnight. And then I couldn't do anymore, and I headed into bed. It was an interesting experience and I am glad I was invited, but I will try to avoid any more invitations if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment