Monday, June 27, 2011

South Head and Bondi to Coogee

With my leg feeling better and still not having used the weekly transit pass very much, I was off to see South Head. I went down to Circular Quay and hopped on a ferry to Watson's Bay. In one of the bay's along the way there was a sign that seemed a bit silly to me. Water would be included in “everything,” as would air, the boat in question, the wharf. Everything seems a bit broad to me.

Anyhow, I arrived at Watson's Bay and headed up to the cliffs to have a look at the scenery.











There was a tall ship of some sort passing by on the sea. It looked a lot like the one that I saw in Fiji. I doubt it was the same one. There must be many of these ships out there. But it's still a fairly impressive sight.








It was a Sunday, and Sydney Harbour is a well-protected harbour, so many people were out enjoying themselves on their sailboats. When I was on the ferry to Watson's Bay, I noticed a number of what I consider to be near misses. I suspect that a sailboat is some sort of status symbol for Sydney, so even if the rich person with the harbour-side house and the expensive car has absolutely no clue about how to actually sail a sailboat, they still must have one in order to be considered a success. And with so many people out on the water this day, it seemed inevitable that some of those clueless bozos would be sailing as well. I wonder how many collisions there actually are out there on a busy Sunday in the harbour.

A short walk took me around to the South Head area. I had to search for the path however. There is some sort of military installation between the ferry wharf area and the South Head park. But I eventually found it and its lighthouse.













And from there I was able to take a nice photo over to where I had been the other day at North Head.











Then it was on to one of the nicest walks I have ever taken in a city. The man in the information booth had told me that the walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach on the east coast was very nice. This was echoed by Momo when I talked to her about it. From the South Head area, I hopped on a bus and headed to Bondi Beach. It is located on the east side of Sydney.





And on this sunny Sunday afternoon, over the course of two hours, I was treated to the sound of crashing surf...
















...and some spectacular sea-side scenery.


If I could choose a place to be laid to rest, I think a cemetery with a view like this would fit the bill. Of course, since the residents aren't able to enjoy the view, it seems a bit of a waste. But at least loved ones have a fairly compelling reason to come to visit, and to stay a spell.







I had a really great walk with the wonders of nature crashing and smashing all around me. And I gained an entirely new appreciation for Sydney and it's position along the coast of the Abel Tasman Sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment