Monday, June 27, 2011

Exploring More of Sydney

Momo was working on Monday, but had the morning free. We went for a bit of a walk on the north side of the Harbour Bridge. To get there, we decided to walk across the Harbour Bridge. It's a nice enough walk. But in the end, the Harbour Bridge is just a bridge. Although impressive from a distance with the Opera House in front of it, the Golden Gate Bridge is more impressive to cross. But then Sydney Harbour is a marvellous view from the bridge deck. And for a couple hundred dollars a person can go walking across the top of bridge over the spans. Or the money could be put towards something else, like a hotel room, or food.

On the other side of the bridge, Momo and I sat and looked across at the Opera House and Circular Quay and chatted for a while. Then we had some Thai food for lunch and Momo had to head off to work. She told me that Luna Park was an interesting place to visit, so I headed around under the bridge and went to check it out. I thought I was going to find a nice little picturesque bay with a park and trees and a nice view. I found an amusement park. Hmmm... I think Momo doesn't know what I like to do. Amusements parks are things I can find at home. And I don't find them interesting there either.

Luckily, beyond the amusement park was a bay with a nice pathway around it and many sailboats sitting on the water. That was picturesque.














Also in the bay was an old boat slip where a boatbuilder used to build boats. In fact, the boat slip was used right up to 1989 when the last boat built on the slip was launched.









Around the corner from there, I headed up the hill and around to the ferry stop and headed back to Circular Quay. Earlier in the day, the sky had been clear and it looked like it would be a glorious sunset. As the afternoon wore on, however, more and more clouds arrived on the scene. By the time I arrived back at the downtown area, it looked as though there would be nothing to see at sunset. However, ever the optimist (don't anyone laugh, that's not nice), I headed to Point MacQuarie to see what could be seen. And as the sun went to rest, there was a small sliver of sky between the clouds at the horizon beyond the Harbour Bridge, and I was rewarded with what turned out to be a rather interesting view of the sun as it set.






No comments:

Post a Comment