Friday, March 11, 2011

Island hopping in Honda Bay

Although it is supposedly not really Honda Bay.  It was actually named Hunda Bay by the person who did the naming.  Unfortunately, as people are apt to do, someone early on mispronounced it and the new pronunciation stuck.  Good thing it didn't become Ford Bay.

Today was a day for an island hopping tour.  It was lovely weather, to the point that I managed to get a bit of a sunburn, my first of the year.


On the way to our first stop it was possible to view this mountain.  You might understand why it is called Maiden't Breast.

Our first stop was a snorkeling area where it was possible to view coral reefs.  I didn't have the inclination to wear a life vest in order to go swimming, so I passed on the opportunity.  In fact, none of the people on my tour decided to go snorkeling.  I'm sure it's a lovely view, and I can understand why they require the life vests (it's not to keep people from drowning, but to prevent damage to the reefs by blundering tourists), but I just find using a life vest to go swimming somewhat self-defeating.

After the snorkeling area, we headed to Snake Island, a long, narrow bit of sand in the middle of the bay.  There were some little snack shacks and a swimming area.  The water in Canada is only rarely so warm.  It was very nice, if a bit choppy.  There was also some time for some beach shenanigans.


Next up was Pandan Island for lunch, more shenanigans, and then a return to Puerto Princesa.  It was a great day, and not just because I got to pose with a bunch of attractive Filipina nurses.  Of course, if all that happened was getting to pose with the nurses, I would still consider it a successful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment